Something out, something in...That's how it goes for a small balcony garden. I have been dragging my feet in planting bulbs and seeds from Diana, as I need to free up some space to accommodate the generous offer of seeds and bulbs. I believe that most people whom had obtained bulbs and seeds recently had already planted them and theirs are all growing vigorously. Just look at K Mar's gladioli and Lynn's carrots and romaine seedlings. So feeling a little kiasu, I took to clearing some of the containers to free up space for the seeds and bulbs.
|The severely neglected Allium chinense still produced quite some bulbs.|
The first to go is the Chinese scallions that I had put in last November. I have three large poly-bags of them (they fill up the bags quite rapidly) and had thrown out one bag last month. When the remaining two bags were cut and the soil dumped away, I am faced with this bunch of Kiangsi scallions that I do not really fancy eating since they can taste a little 'green'. As they were about to go into the bin, I was told not to waste it so it is now waiting to be pickled.
|Some of the Kiangsi scallion bulbs were replanted into a small pot - just in case I still need it for some dish in the future.|
I did replant some of the bulbs, but this time in a small plastic pot. If needed, the bulbs can be further divided at a later date.